Sunday, August 5, 2012

{Star Canyon}

Kim, Kenny, and I headed out early in the morning to hike one of Kenny's favorite trails as a youth.  It was hot and we had to scale up rocks to make it to the top of the monument, but it was fun!  I loved listening to Kenny reminisce about the old days.  He sure does love Grand Junction and the friends he grew up with!
 Kenny and I on a five hour hike up Star Canyon and across the monument to Liberty Cap.  

When Kenny was a teenager, he and his friend Joe White, used to take turns standing in this deep pot hole on the edge of a 300 foot cliff, while the other one would throw down dead tree limbs.  Kenny threw a tree down for me to watch and it was cool to hear the whistle it created and to see the explosion at the bottom.  
We met up with Drew, Ian, Connie, and Carol on the opposite end of the monument.  They hiked up a back trail that wasn't nearly as difficult. 


Ian, Drew, & Kenny atop Liberty Cap

We always love to play in the Monument when we are in Grand Junction.  When you get to the top it overlooks the whole valley.  Kenny and I drove up there one night while we were there to look at the stars.  It was beautiful and nice to be able to leave the kids with the grandparents and sneak away for a little bit.

No comments: