Thursday, October 18, 2012

{Parable of the Pumpkins}

Every Monday night, our family comes together and we have, Family Home Evening!  Family Home Evening is a special time we set aside each week that brings our family together.  We teach important lessons to our children on how to live a Christ like life, we play games, sing songs, talk, laugh, and eat yummy treats!  Family Home Evening strengthens our love for each other and is a time I treasure amongst the craziness of our week.

For Family Home Evening this week, I taught, "The Parable of the Pumpkins!"  I found the idea on pinterest and my kids loved it!

May I present to you, Patty and Perry!  The little one is Owen, made by owen!





 Drew's good friend Robbie joined us this week.  

I read this poem to the children:

The Parable of the Pumpkins
by Tonii Johnson

Once in a pumpkin patch, not far from here,
There were two little pumpkins, both friends so dear.
They were so much alike, both orange and round,
They both had a stem, and they both grew on the ground.
But that is where the similarity ends,
You see, there is one big differene between these closest of friends.
Patty the pumkin is not always nice,
She often tells lies, hits, screams and fights.
She never says sorry, and she really is quite mean,
Though she looks fine on the outside, her insides are not clean!
Then you have Perry, our other pumpkin friend,
Perry is someone on whom you can always depend!
Perry can make mistakes like all of us do,
But Perry says he's sorry, and you know what he says is true.
He tries his very hardest to be the best he can,
It's not always easy, but he has a plan!
He knows how important it is to be truly clean,
Not just on outside, but also where it CAN'T be seen.
He knows of the importance to stay clean and pure,
By saying I'm sorry, repenting, telling the truth and more!
As we leave our two pumpkin friends, there are great lessons to learn,
Our actions WILL determine what kind of insides we earn.
We all make mistakes, that is for sure,
What makes our insides different is our DESIRE to be pure.
As we strive our hardest to be the best we can be,
There will be rough times, days we have to say "Sorry!"
But just like in the pumpkin patch not far from here,
The way I want my insides is SO very clear!
I'll choose Perry over Patty every day of the week,
Even though I may look okay on the outside, clean on the inside is what I truly seek!



The kids loved seeing the yucky insides of Patty!  They all decided that they wanted to be like Perry and vowed to try and be good on the inside.  We went on to explain that through the atonement of our Savior that Patty, and all of us, could be made clean again.  I want my children to remember this important lesson.  Everyone sins, but through repentance they can return to live with their Heavenly Father, and it is never too late to make yourself clean like Perry!

Now when the kids say or do something questionable, I say, "Are you choosing to be like Perry or Patty?"  They often stop dead in their tracks, smile, and respond, "I am going to be like Perry!"  I hope this lesson sticks with them forever! 
Best Buddies

The kids decorated sugar cookies and we played a round of "Gold Fish," as Drew calls it!  

Sweet Tooth Ian

Ninja Owen

  Passionate Mya


1 comment:

Darcy Patterson said...

Love this! Going to have to steal it! You are a great mom!