Sunday, January 25, 2009

My kids WILL get their veggies!



I am a firm believer in the importance of a healthy diet. I make sure my boys always get the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables in a day. Drew & Ian have always eaten their veggies without a fight, even when they were toddlers. People would even comment how impressed they were with how well they ate them. I even wondered why other parents couldn't get their kids to eat their vegetables. Well of course, I am getting tested because the Lord has blessed me with a challenging eater! Owen hates vegetables and most fruit! It baffles me that I could have a child like this. He used to love steamed broccoli and that was the only veggie I could get him to eat, but even now he won't touch them. So I have had to get creative in order to get him the good nutrients that his body needs!

* If you have a weak stomach (Carmin) do not read this!

Johanna's Fresh Smoothie

I use a magic bullet to blend the following ingredients:
2 T. Flax Seed
1/3 C. Simply Orange Juice
Half of a banana
3 spoonfuls of Dannon All Natural Yogurt
Handful of fresh spinach leaves
Half of a celery stick
1 broccoli spear
4 baby tomatoes
Chunk of cucumber with the skin
Juice from half of a lemon
Handful of blueberries
Handful of strawberries

Its amazing how much he loves this smoothie. I make him one everyday, but still continue to always offer him a veggie and fruit at every meal hoping that someday he will choose to eat them for himself. So if you have a picky eater, give the smoothie a try and tell me what you think! They honestly have no clue how good it is for them and you can relax knowing your child is getting a drink packed with healthy nutrients.

5 comments:

Pattersons said...

this sounds like it's worth a try for me! it actually doesn't sound too bad-i may even want to try it:) thanks!

Lynn said...

Have you tasted it? Is it good? Clever.

So I have a question for you - since you are THE organizing lady -how do you keep laundry under control. I thought I heard Darcy say that you do a load a day or have some system. Please share!

johanna said...

I drink it too and think it is wonderful! I added juice from a lemon the last time I made it and it made it even better.

I hate having dirty laundry lying around, so I do do a load a day. As soon as clothes come off at the end of the day they are thrown into the wash. I also make sure I put them away before I go to bed so that I don't have piles lying around. The boys sleep through me opening and closing their drawers in then night! I do jeans and towels together, so I do have a basket for those and do them immediately when the basket is full. It works for us and I don't feel like I have to spend a whole day doing it.

Lynn said...

it sounds hard buut then i guess so is picking up all of the overflowing clothings from the basket and then picking up the clean ones again when ben tosses them off the bed (folded)so he can go to sleep. i need a system! thanks for the info.

jen said...

hmm, i'll have to give it a try. fortunately my daughter loves fruits and veggies. but the more the merrier! thanks for sharing!