Sunday, January 25, 2009

Let's Race!

We use many different parenting techniques with our boys to help motivate them. Racing... has become one of our most used and popular way to get the boys to do what we want them to do. We race to see who can get up the stairs the fastest, who can put their shoes on first, & who can clean up toys the quickest. At times, Kenny & I have to drive different vehicles to church and we each take a boy, Drew usually likes to stay with me, & Ian always wants to be with Kenny. So we will "race" (very carefully) to see who can get home first. Well today Drew & I were in the lead, getting all the green lights, and staying in front of Kenny until he sped through a yellow light to pass me. Drew got VERY UPSET : crying, screaming that he wanted to win, and kicking the back seat in dismay that daddy and Ian beat us. Of course when we pulled into the driveway, Kenny & Ian were gloating about their victory, which made Drew even more upset. Kenny told him he needed to calm down and told him to go to his room. Kenny's remark to me, "Let's hope he outgrows this before he starts playing sports!"

So tonight as the boys are getting ready for bed Ian makes the statement, "I am beating you putting on my pajamas!" Drew calmly responded, "That's fine, I'll beat you next time!" WOW....I'm amazed how much he matured in one afternoon!

No comments: