Sunday, April 28, 2013

{Count Your Many Blessings}

Every year our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, hosts a community, "Helping Hands" service project.  Members assist in their own communities at different locations.  Last year we helped clean up a school facility and this year we went to Child Help.  Child Help is a group home for troubled children who have been neglected or abused by their family.  It was an honor to go there and help in cleaning up their awesome ranch facility.

Unfortunately, Kenny had to go to work, but I still took the kids to go and help.  Before we left the house, I talked to my kids about why the children were living at Child Help.  Ian's tender side came out and he ran to our garage and started grabbing toys he wanted to take the kids!  I read them one of my favorite scriptures, Mosiah 2:17 -"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

We left eager to serve and were surprised by how much fun we had in the process!!!

 Before we got to work we met the horses!

 Ian loved feeding them!

 We started by first cleaning the fences.  We were warned about the spitting Lamas, but that made my boys even more excited to clean right beside them!


 Owen made many new friends!!!

 After 30 minutes of cleaning fences, Ian was ready for another task.  He went to work on the weeds!

 Drew was glad to join in on the shoveling of the cut down weeds.

 Ian decided this looked like more fun than pulling weeds and joined in!


 The boys loved getting to ride on Mart Westbrooks truck to all the cut weed piles.

 Ian left his shovel for a paint brush!  He was excited to have complete access to a big bucket of paint and a brush.  

 On our way to the dump Mart showed off the dead squirrel to the boys!  They loved it!!!!

At one point I couldn't find Owen anywhere.  I had 4 people out looking for him and he was found in the barn!  He was as happy as could be with his find of a Shetland pony and a tortoise!



 He had so much fun at this ranch that he wants to move there!  

The boys found some great climbing trees and made themselves comfortable.  They ate their lunch up in the tree!

I was so proud of my children working so hard all morning.  I know they will be blessed for their efforts!  I am grateful they had this experience to help those in need and hope they will remember the good feeling they felt from doing so!


No comments: