Thursday, March 22, 2012

{Santa Monica}

We went on a Family Fun Day Adventure while the kids were off of school for spring break. We always like to go to new places and explore, so we ventured to Santa Monica for the night. We stayed at The California Hotel, which was decorated with surf boards, guitars, and pictures of movie stars.
The rooms had beautiful hard wood flooring and day beds for the kids. They loved all sleeping together!
Santa Monica is known for there pier. An amusement park right on the ocean can't be beat!
There was a great fitness park that we played at in the morning.
My kids were quite impressed that I could hang upside down...Gotta love when they think you are cool! Unfortunately, I know it won't last for long!
Drew just hanging around!
Owen showing dad what he has learned from gymnastics!

Mya walking across the balance beam. She is also in gymnastics & did the dip step all the way across the beam!
My strong man, Ian pulling himself up the rope!



We arrived in Santa Monica at night, so after we checked into our hotel, we walked down to the pier. The kids were so excited to see the ferris wheel lit up and couldn't wait to ride the rides the next day. On the pier there were several people selling things or showing off their musical talents with the hopes of making some money. We came across a man playing the "drums" on buckets turned upside down and metal lids used as cymbals. He pointed his drumstick toward Mya and told her he had a song for her. He started playing the Itsy Bitsy Spider and held the attention of all my children. We applauded for him when he finished and started to walk away. He quickly stopped me and said, "I take donations." I told him I would have to get some change and that we would be back. When we came back to the guy as we were leaving the pier he told my kids to listen up. They all stopped and looked at him as he pointed his drumstick at them and started his speech, "Promise me 4 things. First, just say No to Drugs! I mean don't even try it like cocaine or crystal meth." He then had them repeat it! He kept going, "Second, stay away from alcohol, like beer and vodka, it only screws you up. Third, don't get involved in violence." Ian then asked him what violence meant and he went on to explain not to hang out with people in gangs. This all seemed ok, good lessons I want my children to follow anyways, but I wasn't ready for lesson #4! He paused for a moment, but then went on, "#4.....Stay away from SEX!" At this point I was jumping to cover my four children's innocent ears as Ian piped up asking the man, "What is Sex?" I quickly cut the man off and told him we would take it from there and thanks again for the good music. As we walked away, Ian kept asking us what sex was. Kenny told him its how babies are made between a husband and wife. I was not ready to have this conversation at 10pm on a pier in Santa Monica! Kenny's answer was enough for Ian for now, but I am nervous for "the talk" that I know is just around the corner. Time to read up on how you explain the birds and the bees to a 7 year old!

No comments: