Monday, December 12, 2011

{China}


Mya is successfully potty trained and loves to go to the bathroom by herself. However, I caught her the other day trying to go potty standing up like the boys. When I told her that girls need to sit to go potty she looked down at her girl area and asked, "Mya penis?" Now majoring in Early Childhood Education, I have taken many classes that have taught that you always call the parts by there proper name, so as to not confuse a child. That is what I did with my boys, but for some reason I do not love the sound of the word vagina! Kenny was very adamant about what not to call it, but had never told me what he thought was a good word to name it. So as I was stuck with this dilemma as to what to tell Mya, I decided I would stick to what I was taught, & told her, "Boys have a penis, but girls have a vagina." I said it quickly, changed the topic, & thought, hopefully she won't ask again for another couple of years! Her response was simple, "Ok!" Whew......that discussion was done, back to playing with dolls. Unfortunately, she did have to go to the bathroom again, where she started saying, "Daddy has penis, Dew has penis, Ian has penis, Owen has penis, and Mya has China! She was beaming and all I could do was laugh and agree with her! "Yes you have China!" So much for not trying to confuse her! Someday I will have to explain that China is a country, where people live, and not the name of her .........! Until then I am good with it being called China!

2 comments:

Gabriela Hull said...

She's so cute!

Kayla said...

oh my goodness, I love it Johanna!
Around here where it is all girls we have our own words too. According to Briar (when she was that age) girls had vaginas and boys have boginas. We still call it that and I laugh every time.