Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

Drew started his first day of Kindergarten today! I was so incredibly nervous for him and prayed that he would have a good day. I was a little apprehensive after he declared, "I do not want to go anywhere today," after I told him it was time to get ready for school. He also decided that he didn't want to eat breakfast this morning, which was a waste of my time since I made him pancakes. When I dropped him off I was anticipating having him holding onto my leg, crying, and screaming for me not to leave him in a room filled with people he did not know. I wasn't even sure if I would be successful in getting him into the car without a battle. I started in on bribes and told him that if he was good at school today and listened to his teacher I would take him to do something fun afterwards. I then motivated him into the van by telling him we were going to go look for school buses, he loves buses and then told me that he wanted to take the bus to school!


We arrived at his school and I walked him into his classroom. He went in and found his cubby with his name and then went and sat at table with a little girl and started coloring. He looked up at me, waved, and said, "bye mom!" I took that as my cue to leave and left the room. I started crying the minute I exited the school doors! I was so proud of him for how brave he was when he got to school and how easy he made it for me to leave him there.


When I picked him up from school I immediately started drilling him about his day, and of course like any man when asked how their day was he just said, "fine." He did tell me later that he had fun and that he liked when his teacher read them books. I am so fortunate to have such a strong little guy. He has come such a long way and I am so thankful to have him as my son. We celebrated his first day of school by going to McDonalds for lunch. I hope tomorrow goes as well as today. Go Panthers!

9 comments:

Kendall said...

Johanna! You have done what I am already dreading even though it is three years away for us.You are a trailblazer for me! I'm so proud of Drew! He looks positively ready for school in his picture.

whitney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cat Summers said...

I am so proud of him. I was hoping to see his amazing shoes that his fun aunties gave him.

Pattersons said...

hooray for Drew! way to go too Johanna! you done good, you done good!

Babbel Family said...

The first one is the hardest to see go. After that you are counting down the days and begging that they will let the younger ones start early!! I love it!

Summers Family said...

Drew looks so grown up! I love the t-shirt under the button down- so in. Hope he continues to love school.

Carrie-kins said...

how sweet-i still remember when i use to babysit when you first moved here.hooray for drew-and for you!

Jayme said...

yay for Drew! yay for Johanna!

Darcy and Shawn Patterson said...

ahhh i'm almost crying reading that myself! seriously, i'm fighting back tears! i'm so proud of drew too!