Sunday, April 17, 2011

Whirlwind of a Trip!

Life has been pretty busy, so I am behind in the blogging world, & going to try and catch up. The boys had their spring break 2 weeks ago & it happened to match up with Auntie Kim and Catherine's spring break in CO, so we were lucky to have them come out to CA to visit us for a couple of days. Of course lots of the time was spent playing "monster," which pretty much consists of the Aunts having to chase and wrestle the boys around for hours. Aunt Kim made up a new game, which entails the kids being wrapped up in their t-shirt quilts (made lovingly by grandma Summers), and dragged all throughout the house. Kim definitely got her work cut out for her. Ian taking Mya for a ride.
Drew and Mya
Catherine hurt her knee in a car accident, so she was unable to do all the physical play with the kids, but it didn't stop Mya from warming up to her!

Kenny and the girls, surprised the boys and took them to Disneyland! I don't have photos of the day, but the boys had a blast. Drew's favorite thing to do was drive the cars, Ian liked the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and Owen liked the Buzz Lightyear ride. Unfortunately, I was unable to go, because a few days before Kim and Catherine arrived I received the news that my grandfather, Howard Scott, had passed away. This meant a quick trip back to KS for his funeral. It worked out well that Kim and Catherine were able to stay with my boys, so that Mya and I could go be with my family.


My grandpa was a WWII veteran in the U.S. Naval Air Corps, so his funeral was very patriotic. Mya and I, along with my cousins and his fifteen great grandchildren all walked in carrying a flag. The ceremony was a celebration of his life. One of my favorite parts was when my Uncle Greg, talked about my grandpa and grandma dancing around the kitchen when he was a boy and thinking about them now, reunited and dancing together in heaven. At the cemetery there was a 21 gun salute and a man playing "Taps" on the bugle. It was a definite tear jerker. I miss my grandpa but am grateful for the wonderful memories that I have of him. He was a rancher and would work at the sale barn. I remember when I was young going out and watching him and always feeling so proud to have a grandpa that was a cowboy! He would always treat us to cinnamon rolls after he finished working. He was also the one who taught me how to gamble! He loved to play cards and always had loose change for us to play with. He was a very loving grandfather and I will miss him dearly.


So more to come on our trip in KS.......

1 comment:

Pattersons said...

aren't aunts the best!?:)