Sunday, November 23, 2008

Would you like a snack?

Today Drew participated in his first Primary program. Since we had missed several Sundays in a row from traveling, we never received a slip of paper informing us of what Drew was supposed to say during the program. The Sunday before he was able to practice in the chapel, but he wanted nothing to do with saying anything into the microphone and I decided not to push him. I knew we would be lucky to even get him to sit up in the stand on the actual day of the program.

As they called the children up Drew sunk into the pew and said he didn't want to go sit up front. I started in on the bribes, candy, toy, popsicle, nothing was working. Kenny then asked him if he wanted to take a snack up to the stand with him?! Drew of course said Yes and Kenny proceeded to pour goldfish into a tupperware container. I quickly told him that I didn't think snacks up on the stand during a primary program was a good idea, but he only said, "He's going up there." So off Drew went, snacks in hand to sit on the stand in front of all the congregation. He did a great job singing the songs and kept his snack well hidden. When it was his classes turn to say why they were thankful for their families he rose and stood in line, snacks in hand. I figured he would not want to speak into the microphone because of the stage fright from his practice, but he came to the step stool climbed up and said, "Oh wait." He jumped off the step stool and walked his tupperware bowl of goldfish back to his chair. He then went and stood back in line behind the other children in his class. As he came back to the front of the line he climbed back up on the step stool, leaned into the mic., and before his teacher could whisper something in his ear to say, he blurted out, "If you don't have a snack, you can go home now!" He jumped down and went back to his snack that sat nicely waiting for him on his chair. Everyone was laughing and Tommy, who sat behind me, started to stand up and said I'm going home to get my snack!

So he didn't stand up and say why he was thankful for us, but Kenny and I were both very proud of him for sitting up on the stand, for singing, and for speaking about what was on his mind. I figure we won't have to worry about a bigger speaking part next year!

2 comments:

Pattersons said...

drew is cute and he did well. nia and carrie said they heard him loud and clear-too funny! and thanks so much for all your help today! i'm so glad i listened and made the right choice:) we've got lots of good times ahead of us in primary!

Gabriela Hull said...

Drew was so cute! He didn't hesitate at all to speak in the microphone. He looked liked a pro.